Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm a Trail Runner

There's a scene in J.B. Benna's terrific movie, The Runner, documenting David Horton's record-setting 2006 journey along the entire 2700-mile Pacific Crest Trail where Horton is asked why he wasn't attempting his amazing quest in an unsupported fashion (i.e., why he was relying on friends to crew for him along the route rather than fastpacking alone). He responds without hesitation, "Because I'm not a backpacker. I'm a runner." I'm reminded of this scene whenever someone wonders why I avoid the roads like the plague these days. Sure, I live in Houston and I don't have access to endless miles of beautiful singletrack. And, yes, my meat & potato miles are flat or flatish loops around parks and a university campus. My mountains are concrete stadium steps. But it has less to do with environment than temperament. I'm not a road runner. I'm a trail runner. Why? This video (which has been cross-posted on many other sites) hints at the answer. [Note: if you aren't a fan of Coldplay's homage to U2, you might want to turn the sound down]

UltraRunning from Matt Hart on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment