Monday, July 20, 2009

El Scorcho 50K

Ten 3.1-mile hard, flat loops through a city park. At midnight. In July. As RD / race-creator, Ryan V. reminded me a number of times, "you get what you paid for." Given that my entry was comp-ed, truer words were never spoken. Seriously, though, El Scorcho gave me plenty. A chance to get outta town for a bit. A chance to visit with some nice (and equally crazy) folks. A chance to log 31 miles and pocket some nice swag for doing so. All good.

Got up to Fort Worth around 3:30 or so and met Ryan at his lovely new casa. He was kind enough to drive me to the Fort Worth Running Co. for packet pick-up (nice shirts!) and then off to Mellow Mushroom for an early pre-race dinner. Also got a quick tour of the course (there's the crushed-limestone path, there's the basketball court, there's the concrete path, don't trip on the miniature RR tracks...) and a very useful primer on where to park. Made it back to the hotel by 6:30 and was in bed by 7:00 for a couple of hours of fitful napping. Although I've run into and even through the night before, I've never started a race at midnight, and I had no idea how my body would react.

Made it to Trinty Park and the start line by 11:15-ish. Grabbed my timing chip and ran into Jay from HTREX (hope your race went well!). Saw Lynnor briefly, but not a lot of other familiar faces. I suspect a majority of the runners were local road runners (judging by the number of cups and other trash strewn across nearly the entire course - ugh). At midnight, Ryan and crew gathered the 50K-ers (25K started 10 minutes later) and sent us on our way.

Not knowing how dark parts of the course would be, I started with my little Petzl e+LITE, but after a loop I realized that there was enough light and the footing was good enough that I'd be fine without a light. During the early loops, I ended up running with John Sharp, a guy I'd run into at a number of races but never had the pleasure of talking with. John made the first 4-5 loops go by almost painlessly. Just a week removed from a hugely-impressive 82 miles at Hardrock, it was fascinating to hear John talk so passionately about that amazing race. At some point around loop 5, John said he was feeling a bit tired (wonder why) and he dropped back a bit.

Don't recall anything about loop #6 except that I think it was around this time I ran into Shelly Grahmann. At the end of loop #6, I was definitely beginning to feel the miles and the heat (a very warm but dry start to the race, but increasing humidity throughout night) and for some reason decided to grab an Oreo. Mistake. My stomach wanted nothing to do with it and I spent a good chunk of the loop walking and hoping not to vomit. All from a single Oreo. Shelly had pulled well ahead by this time, and when I made it back around for the start of loop #8, I was feeling a bit better but had made peace with the notion that I'd be running the last 9+ miles alone. My mood was also boosted by the presence of Coke (with ice!) at the aid table. How I love Coke late in races.

Downed some of that icy nectar of the gods and within minutes began to feel much happier. Started running again and less than a mile out, came up on Shelly who was taking a short walk break. We chatted a little and then began a pattern that would play out over the remainder of the race. We'd start running and since my normal pace was a little faster, I'd pull ahead. Then I'd decide to walk for a bit and since Shelly ran more (walked less), she'd catch & pass me. Inevitably, we'd come into the start/finish more or less at the same time & walk out together, nursing our wonderful Cokes. Finally, on the last loop, I was utterly sick of being out there and decided to simply run until I couldn't run anymore.

Crossing the line in 6:18 and change, I was bit woosy but pretty happy with my effort. I suppose I could have shaved 10-20 minutes off the time had I pushed a bit more throughout, but there would have been a price to pay. As it stands, it might not be my fastest 50K time, but it was a solid effort and a good way to get in 31 miles leading up to Waldo next month. Executive summary: 5 S-caps, 5 gels, one horrid little Oreo, lots of Coke, lots of water. Managed the heat pretty well, and (except for one section) no long periods without running. No blisters & only mild soreness in the legs and hips. Overall, not bad.

Finally, kudos to Ryan, Jason, and their compadres for putting on a meticulously-organized race. Great volunteers (and lots of them!), super-easy logistics (ample parking, plenty of spots to stow a drop bag or kick back), excellent swag, and Coke with ice for the 50K-ers. Couldn't ask for anything else. However, I will remember Ryan's mocking offers of beer late in the race. This will not go unpunished...

1 comment:

  1. I'm always fighting nausea at this race. don't know what it is about this race that makes me sick but last yr and the yr before really bit. This yr, I dropped after 5 loops and I still feel outta whack, go figure. Its fun though, hahah! Conga rats Miles..;-D

    ReplyDelete