Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"Heat Index"

Honestly, is there any measure more patently absurd than the "heat index" (or "Real Feel" or whatever)? This morning I get up and, as I do every morning before I run, check the weather conditions. Gotta psych up (out) for those weekday morning runs. So this morning the actual ambient temperature at 5:20 a.m. was 82 degrees. Relative humidity was 86 percent. According the WeatherChannel.com, that made for a Heat Index of 88 degrees. How absurd is that? Ask yourself this: would I rather go out and run 7 miles when the actual temperature is 88 degrees (and the humidity is, say, 30 percent, and there's a nice breeze out of the northwest at 10-12 m.p.h.) or would I rather run when the Heat Index is 88 degrees and the humidity is 86 percent and the wind is "blowing" at 3 m.p.h. from the southwest? According to the weather geniuses, the latter "feels" the same as the former, right? What I'd like to see is the creator of the "heat index" get his or her ass outside one July morning and put in 6 or 7 miles and then contemplate the inanity of their creation. Until then, I'm going to create my own index - the Suffering Index. 1-10 scale. A "1" is a crisp, dry January morning. A "10" is, well, today.

2 comments:

  1. The forecast for today calls for a "heat index" of 110. No lie. So, what's actually above a "10" on your new scale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a "Hors Categorie"

    ReplyDelete